Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Roasted Vegetable and Tomato Soup


This weekend, I worked on preparing some hearty soups. Its almost winter and such weather calls for a good soup.

My first attempt: Roasted Vegetable and Tomato Soup

Ingredients: 2 large red onions (chopped in rings)
1 clove garlic (roughly chopped)
4 large tomatoes (chopped in cubes)
1 red capsicum (cubed)
1 yellow capsicum (cubed)
large sprigs of parsley
handful of basil leaves
1/2 can of chopped tomatoes with juice
salt and pepper

1. Brown onions and garlic in olive oil. Add yellow capsicum and one glass of water. Leave it to simmer.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and place red capsicum and tomatoes in a baking tray with olive oil drizzled on top of the vegetables. Leave it to roast for half an hour.
3. Add roasted vegetables to the pot with parsley and basil leaves. Let it simmer for another ten minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add canned tomatoes and give it a final mix.

Verdict: If you look at most soup recipes, they will tell you that the most important thing is preparing a good broth first which you add to the pot instead of a glass of water. I had not gotten around to preparing a broth before hand and decided to roast my vegetables to make up for the flavour. The roasted tomatoes and capsicum added a creamy and bold flavour to the soup and this made up for the lack of a good soup base.

I didnt really like adding the canned tomatoes to the dish although it did make the broth thicker and added colour to the dish. I looked at a number of recipes which called for the canned tomatoes so I thought to try and put that in. Maybe its just me disliking the taste of canned tomatoes and the next time I will try making the dish without the canned tomatoes.

Overall, the dish turned out fine and I would give it a solid thumbs up.

No comments: