Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Beef Stroganoff


Since I married an European man, I decided to try making more European dishes. And its all turning out quite well. Also, I bought a lot of beef this week.

Ingredients: Lean beef
1 tbs flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
1 red onion (sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup sour cream
1 tbs tomato paste
salt and pepper

1. Cut beef in thin strips. Coat with seasoned flour. Heat oil and fry the beef. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in pan and fry onions and garlic until softened.
3. Add 1/2 cup water, sour cream and tomato paste.
4. Cook for 5 minutes, and then add beef.
5. Season to taste. The sauce would have thickened and then set aside.

Verdict: I thought this dish was really very good. The sourness of the cream complemented the tomato paste quite well. The recipe calls for button mushrooms to be added but I didnt have any in the house. All, in all this was a successful first try at beef stroganoff.

No comments: