Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I was in the mood for Asian fare, so I made sweet and sour chicken. This version follows the Malaysian version where the meat is not deep fried before hand. The Chinese version usually calls for the meat to be deep fried in breadcrumbs before the sauce is placed on it.

Ingredients: chicken breast (diced)
3 pineapple rings (sliced)
1 white onion (sliced)
1/2 red pepper (cubed)
3 tbs tomato sauce
1 tbs chilli sauce
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp of cornflour (make into a paste with water)
salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in work and fry the onions. When onions are softened, add the red pepper. Add 5 tbs of water and allow vegetables to cook.
2. Add chicken breast and allow to simmer for 10 mins.
3. When water is drying up, add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, soya sauce and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add a bit of water if the sauce is too thick.
5. Add pineapple.
6. Use cornflour paste to thicken the sauce before turning off heat.

Verdict: The version I made was a little too sweet because I added some pineapple syrup to the sauce. Usually, the recipe calls for a bit of vinegar which I didnt have with me. Overall, I could have done a better job of it.

No comments: