This is similar to chicken masala- in this case we use lamb and potatoes. I buy my lamb from the butcher from Bazaar Vest and he provides very tender cuts of meat which is perfect for this dish.
200 g lamb sliced in cubes
2 potatoes (quartered)
1 red chilli sliced
1 onion sliced
5 pips garlic minced
1 thumbsized piece of ginger minced
1/2 can coconut milk
2 sprigs of coriander chopped
1 heaped tbs garam masala powder (or curry powder)
1/2 tbs tumeric powder
1/4 tbs chili powder
2 tbs ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tomato (quartered)
1. Heat ghee on pot and fry onions, garlic, cumin and ginger until fragrant and lightly browned.
2. Add lamb and cook until skin becomes slightly translucent on the outside. You can add a bit of water if the lamb starts to stick to the pan.
3. Add the spice powders and fry until fragrant.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and add potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Then add tomato.
5. When tomato softens, add coriander and coconut milk.
6. Serve with basmati rice (I like to add a garnish of cucumber with tomato sauce on top, a childhood habit).