Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Butter Prawns Bruschetta

The most wonderful thing happened this weekend. I found fresh curry leaves in Bazaar Vest. After years of missing my favourite Malaysian butter prawns, I can finally make it at home. I was wondering how I should serve it. Usually it was a dish served with many other dishes at the Chinese restaurants I frequented to be eaten with rice. It didnt seem fitting to serve it by itself with rice- so I came up with the idea of making it bruschetta style, which turned out perfect- it soaks up the wonderful buttery, curry leaf aroma-filled gravy and you can enjoy the perfectly cooked prawns on top. It would make for the most decadent starter dish for a dinner. If the shopkeeper at the Bazaar continues to sell it, my dinner guests would be in for a real treat!

Ingredients:
200g tiger prawns, cleaned, de-veined
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 bird eye chillies chopped
3 tbs butter
5 tbs evaporated milk
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp shaoxing wine
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbs sugar
pinch of salt

1. Heat butter (add some extra virgin oil if necessary) and fry up garlic until fragrant. Add chillies and toss around under high heat.
2. Throw in prawns and cook for 2 mins before adding curry leaves. Season with shaoxing wine, soya sauce and sugar. Continue frying under high heat until prawns are cooked through.
3. Add the evaporated milk at the end to gather up and concentrate the different flavours into a sauce.
4. Toast bread (in this case I used soft buns as it best soaks up sauce). Put spoonfuls of the butter prawns, adding some of the sauce on the side, and serve up. Eat while its warm!

3 comments:

M said...

they look extremely yummie :-)

Paula said...

Thanks. I would go so far as to say its my best recipe by far :-)

rose water said...

Oh you're so lucky to live close to Bazaar Vest!! I love that place :)
I'll try this recipe some day. It looks great.