This brulee is the recipe of a friend of ours called Bjarne who made the most delicious creme brulee I have ever tasted. We made it on his instructions and it was pure heaven in a cup. His secret, from what I have gathered from his recipe is that he only uses top quality ingredients for his dessert such as the real vanilla stalk instead of vanilla essence, pasteurised egg yolks and the organic sugar made from sugarcane. This recipe calls for a fruit base which adds a fresh tart contrasting flavour to the sweet creamy brulee.
1/2 litre of cream
1 stalk of vanilla
150 g of organic caster sugar (from sugarcane)
6 pasteurised egg yolks
200g mixed berries
1. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar until light and frothy. (with mixing machine).
2. Heat cream under low heat. Scrape vanilla seeds from stalk and add to cream. Throw in the stalk as well. Keep to a light simmer, and then sieve the mixture, discarding the stalk.
3. Add the warm cream slowly in pouring mixture to the egg yolk mixture while it is whirring in the machine at full speed.
4. Boil berries with 50 g of sugar until softened. Put on bottom of glass container.
5. Add the cream mixture on top.
6. Bake in water bath at 160 degrees for 1 hour. Take out and leave to cool for several hours.
7. Put the glass cups back in a water bath. Add 2 tbs of sugar at the end and bake under high heat to set or use a flame torch to caramelize sugar on top of the creme brulee.