Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

I was inspired to make this shrimp and corn chowder after seeing a facebook post of how comforting it can be on a winters night. This is my first attempt at making the chowder and it turned out really delicious and full of flavour. Some recipes call for bacon to be cooked in some oil before adding the rest of the ingredients to the soup- to lend it flavour. I didnt have bacon- but I used a special ingredient to impart lots of flavour to the soup- the end-block of a parmesan cheese I had used up earlier in the day which I threw into the stock.

Ingredients:
1 red onion finely sliced
1/2 yellow capsicum finely chopped
1/2 carrot finely chopped
2 boiled potatoes cubed
1 organic chicken stock cube
1 cup milk
3 tbs sour cream (the recipe called for regular cream, but I had sour cream- it added a pretty good flavour to the soup actually)
end block of a parmesan cheese
50 g shrimp

1. Heat olive oil and fry onions, capsicum and carrot until softened.
2. Add 1 cup water, milk, chicken stock cube and parmesan block.
3. Leave to simmer for 30 mins.
4. Check on the soup- at this point, the parmesan block had softened slightly, lending a good strong flavour to the soup and the vegetables were cooked but still had a slight crunch to them, which I like.
5. Lower heat and add prawns and sour cream. Be careful not to over-cook- mine was overcooked slightly leading to shrinked prawns. Another way to add the cream for presentation is only when the soup is served, by adding a dollop to the top.
6. Season and serve. I seasoned with rock salt and cracked black pepper.

No comments: