Sunday, March 04, 2012

Mummy's Ayam Masak Merah

This is my mother's recipe for ayam masak merah (chicken cooked red). The deviation I made was that I used chicken fillets- usually she makes it with pieces of boned chicken. It would have tasted better with the boned pieces- so I would recommend that instead of the fillet I used. I also added tomato to my dish to make it more hearty- thats something you can add at the end phase of the cooking and cook it until slightly softened with the juices running. I also garnished with some sprigs of coriander. Below, I will put her original recipe:

Ingredients:
1 chicken cut into pieces
1-2 red onions sliced
3-4 dried chillies (can be substituted with fresh red chillies)
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
salt to taste
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs tomato sauce
tamarind or lime juice to taste

1. Marinate chicken with salt, tumeric and chilli powder for half hour.
2. Deep fry chicken in wok until three quarters cooked.
3. Grind onions, chilli and garlic to a paste.
4. Fry paste until oil comes to the top.
5. Add fried chicken and the rest of the condiments.
6. Cook for half hour until sauce is thickened.
7. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

mina said...

thanks for your mom's recipe. looks delicious! (:

Paula said...

You are welcome. And yes, this is really delicious, provided that you like your spice!