Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Roasted Chicken with Potatoes

This is a recipe that got me through my student days when I stayed at a hostel. Its very simple and tastes really good.

Ingredients:
1 piece of chicken (I buy chicken from a butcher and get it skinned and quartered)
1 lemon
salt and pepper
2 tbs butter
Potatoes
Salad side (here I have used cucumbers)

1. Marinade chicken in lemon juice. You can also add garlic to the marinade.
2. Place chicken on baking tray with chopped potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add 1 tbs of butter on chicken and the other tbs on top of potatoes.
4. Bake at 200 degrees for 30 mins. In the middle of the baking, use a brush to baste potatoes with the chicken fat which has oozed out of the chicken.
5. When chicken is browned and potatoes are cooked through, remove from oven and serve with side salad. One way to find out if chicken is done is to poke a fork through the meat. If the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked through- you can see that fork mark on my piece!

Note: Other variations I would make on the roasted chicken- sometimes I would slather it with store bought bbq sauce and bake. Other times I rubbed honey on it and it gave it a sweet caramelized skin.

No comments: