Monday, April 30, 2012

Mee Siam

There is a story behind the making of this dish. I am in my eighth month of pregnancy and two weeks ago, I developed a huge craving for Mee Siam. It was one of those major pregnancy cravings and I really had to have it. I have never tried to make it before and its an intricate dish- and I scouted around the entire town for the ingredients to make the dish. Last week, on the day I tried to make it, and I suddenly felt very exhausted and overwhelmed. I walked out of the kitchen in the midst of prepping my ingredients and took to bed instead, deciding I could never replicate Mee Siam. My husband Thomas saw how down I looked and went in there with the recipe and replicated the dish. I was really taken by surprise and enjoyed the dish for the next 2-3 days immensely.

I decided today to go back into the kitchen and conquer the making of the Mee Siam. And I did- it was delicious.

Ingredients:

For spice paste A:
4-5 shallots
3 cloves garlic
6 dried chillis (soak in hot water for 10 mins)
1 tbs dried shrimp (soak in hot water for 10 mins)
1 tbs belachan
2 red onions
6 candle nuts.

(Grind the ingredients)

For spice paste B:
4 tbs of tau cheo (bean sauce)- blend the tau cheo in grinder
Tamarind juice from 3 tbs of tamarind- mix with 1 cup of water and sieve out seeds
2-3 tbs palm sugar (or white sugar)
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt

Other Ingredients:
1/2 packet of bee hoon (soak in hot water, drain and set aside)
1/2 packet of bean sprouts (soak in hot water, drain and set aside)
1 hard boiled egg sliced
2 sprigs of chinese leeks sliced
1/2 pkt coconut milk
1/4 lime

1. Heat oil in pan and fry spice paste A until fragrant.
2. Fill up the pot to half with water and add spice paste B. (about 1.5 litres of water)
3. Let it simmer for 20 mins before adding coconut milk

To serve:
1. Put blanched bee hoon and bean sprouts on the bottom of the bowl.
2. Pour gravy on top.
3. Garnish with eggs, lime and leeks.

The broth is a wonderful mixture of sweet, sour and spicy flavours and goes beautifully with the boiled eggs, noodles and vegetables. I was in heaven. (again)

No comments: