Friday, May 25, 2012

Chicken Teriyaki with Rice

Nowadays I dont make breakfast. I make lunch items for breakfast and a second lunch item for lunch. Such is an appetite of a pregnant woman is about to pop in two weeks. So this teriyaki was my breakfast this morning. Its a simple way to cook up left-over fillets of meat- it can be beef, pork or chicken. Serve with hot rice.

Ingredients:
200 g chicken fillet (or pork/beef)
2 tbs light soya sauce
1 tbs dark soya sauce
1 tbs grated ginger
1 tbs mirin (or you can substitute with apple cider vinegar)
1 tbs honey
1 tsp dark syrup (my trick to get the meat to caramelize, you can also substitute with brown sugar)
salt and pepper
1 tbs chopped spring onions

1. Cut up the chicken fillet into thin chops.
2. Mix up the rest of the ingredients as marinade (except for spring onions). Keep meat in the marinade. I marinaded by meat for 1.5 days in the fridge before cooking it. The longer you marinade, the more flavoursome the meat becomes. I think 1.5 days was the max I could go before I cooked it.
3. Heat up grill pan and fry your slivers of meat until it browns up and glazes beautifully.
4. Remove meat to platter, and then pour in rest of marinade into pan to make a simple thick sauce. At this point, you can lightly cook your spring onions in the sauce. I have the sauce on the rice in the picture, but its located behind the chops so you cant see it so clearly.
5. For a true Japanese experience, place rice in the bowl with chops and sauce and eat with chopsticks.

This made a very hearty breakfast for me this morning. I think I will add a fried egg to it next time round :-)

No comments: