Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Steak with Mushroom Sauce
cracked black pepper
1 can button mushrooms (or you could use any other mushrooms, the original recipe called for wild mushrooms)
2 shallots minced
1/2 chicken stock cube
1 tbs butter
1/2 pkt cream
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
1. Take steaks out of the fridge until they reach room temperature. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
2. Sear the steak on a hot pan. Remove and put in an oven. The trick is to warm the oven up and then switch it off when putting in the steaks to keep it moist. I heated mine up to 200 degrees before switching it off.
3. Add a knob of butter to the pan where the steaks were seared. Add the shallots and cook until the shallots are softened and slightly caramelized. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for ten mins.
4. Add the chicken stock cube, cream and lemon juice. (The original recipe called for 2 tbs of cognac instead of cream which could taste pretty good too). If you prefer a more creamy mushroom sauce, then substitute with cream instead.
5. Serve steak with the warm mushroom sauce poured over it along with side dishes.