Monday, August 13, 2012

Mediterranean Fish Soup

This dish was so good, that I had immediately started blogging about it, seconds after finishing my meal. I have found the secret to a good fish soup- and that my friends, is anchovy fillets. The tiny ones you can get in a jar, preserved in oil. I added four of these to my stock base to flavour to the soup and it produced the most excellent result. I want to fill my kitchen cabinets with jars of anchovy fillets. That, and good Italian pomodoro sauce, the kind that comes in glass jars.

Ingredients:
4 anchovy fillets
3 pieces of white fish
1 white onion sliced
4 cloves garlic sliced
3 tomatoes quartered
3 stalks celery chopped
3 carrots chopped
3 tbs lemon juice (and 1/2 tsp of grated lemon rind)
1/2 cup white wine
4 tbs Italian pomodoro sauce (that comes in glass jar)
4 sprigs parsley
glugs of olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Heat olive oil and gently cook onions and garlic until lightly softened.
2. Add celery and carrots and cook until softened.
3. Add tomatoes and cook until the juice begin running out. Then add the anchovy fillets, lemon rind and juice. Cook until vegetables are fully softened and add 1 cup water and the pomodoro sauce.
3. When water is simmering, add fish and cook until done. Add wine, season and garnish with parsley.
4. Finish off the soup with a final splash of olive oil.
5.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments: