Friday, November 09, 2012

Gordon Ramsay's Leek and Cheese Rosti with Egg

This is a dish I made from my new Gordon Ramsay cookbook. The combination of leeks, potatoes and cheese looked perfect for a cold wintry afternoon in Denmark. Ramsay recommends eating the rosti with a fried egg as a complete meal so thats what I did. I loved the combination of the sweetness of the fried leeks coupled with the crunchy outside of the potato and its soft center and the little bits of melted cheese in the middle. I packed up the rest of the rosti for another homesick friend and I hope she enjoyed it as much as I did :-)

Ingredients:
500 g waxy potatoes parboiled but not soft
1 leek sliced thinly
60g pecorino cheese shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg

1. Boil the potatoes until tender but not soft.
2. In the meantime, fry the leeks in a separate frying pan until softened.
3. Leave the potatoes to cool completely before grating them into a bowl.
4. Add the cooked leeks and pecorino cheese (the leeks should have cooled considerably too)
5. Mix gently with a spoon with salt and pepper.
6. Heat oil in frying pan and fry the rosti. I followed Ramsay's suggestion to cook the entire rosti in one frying pan so I had a giant pancake which I had to flip over to a plate and slide back into the frying pan for the second round of frying.
7. You can serve the rosti with a fried egg as I have done here, for a lunchtime meal :-)

No comments: