Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Japchae

Japchae is a Korean noodle dish. I have never tried it in a restaurant before and only came to know about it through my women's foodie forum in Denmark when one of the ladies was happy to find sweet potato noodles to make Japchae. I saw the noodles at the Asian shop recently and decided to try and make it myself. Admittedly, I wasnt a fan of the texture of the sweet potato noodles and would probably substitute with glass noodles the next time round. Also, the recipe calls for sugar to be added to the Japchae which I found a little strange to the palate. I talked to a fellow expat in Denmark, an American-born Korean and she told me that she doesnt add sugar to her Japchae so Im thinking of re-inventing the Japchae to suit my own palate. I'll post my own re-invention at a later stage but here is the original recipe.

Ingredients:
150g sweet potato noodles
5 shiitake mushrooms (soaked in hot water and chopped)
1 carrot (sliced in thin sticks)
1 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 sprig of spring onion chopped
2.5 tbs sugar
2.5 tbs sesame oil
4 tbs soya sauce (I used 3 tbs light soya sauce and 1 tbs dark soya sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp light sesame seeds
1 tsp black sesame seeds

1. Boil the sweet potato noodles until softened, drain and run through cold water before setting aside. Use a scissors to cut them in shorter lengths.
2. Heat oil in wok and fry onion until softened. Then add garlic.
3. Throw in carrots after 5 minutes, followed by shiitake mushrooms.
4. Continue frying under high heat and add noodles followed by condiments.
5. When the noodles are cooked through, serve with a garnish of light and black sesame seeds.
6. Can be served hot or cold.

No comments: